Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

I Almost Died...But Not Really

This past Friday night, Siena and I went out and got dinner.

I would tell you about all the things that happened that night, but really they're not relevant to this story, because the most memorable thing that happened on Friday night was that I almost died.

I guess that's being a little dramatic.  It wasn't truly a near death experience, but in theory it could have been.

The thing is I'm allergic to peanuts.  It's one of those allergies that they're not really sure what would happen to me if I ate them.  I could be completely fine or my throat could swell up and I could stop breathing.

I have an epi-pen incase the latter does happen, but luckily I've never had to use it before.

Of course though, I didn't have my epi-pen, or any Benadryl (the allergy medicine I take when I eat peanuts but I'm not quite at the point of anaphylactic shock) with me, because I thought I would be fine.

Except I wasn't.  I went to have a bite of Siena's ice cream and when I put the spoon in my mouth, I tasted the peanuts.  Then literally right after I ate it, the person who gave us the ice cream (who ironically happened to be in Siena's PE class) told us it had Butterfinger in it.

Siena and I both kind of just looked at each other with panicked looks on our faces.  I didn't know what to do.  I drank some water and called my mom.  She told me to run over to Smith's and buy some Benadryl.

So we did.  And all I can say is that I've never felt as alive as I did when I was sprinting through the Smith's parking lot with at nine o'clock on a Friday night, not sure if I was going to stop breathing or not.


Our bathroom selfie because we just think we're the coolest.

Everything ended up working out ok.  We bought Benadryl, I took one, and I didn't even break out or anything.  All in all, it was a pretty good night too.  We met some new people and had a lot of fun.

So I guess that's it.  Here's just another story of a time when my life took a sharp turn for the worst, but in the end everything worked out ok.

Be careful out there.
Elise :)

No comments:

Post a Comment